Rick and Chelsea Conrad, along with their children, Titus, Lucy, and Joel, have finished the journey to Yaounde, Cameroon! Rick will be serving as a database programmer for Wycliffe Bible Translators. The Conrads spent the past year living in France while Rick and Chelsea were immersed in French language training.
Cameroon is a West African country of 24 million people located just north of the Equator. Its neighbors, Nigeria, Chad, the Central African Republic, the Republic of Congo, Gabon, and Equatorial Guinea, are some of the poorest and most unstable countries in the world. Cameroon itself is economically underdeveloped, politically corrupt, and periodically unstable. The northern region of the country has been heavily influenced by the terrorist organization Boko Haram. Yaounde, the inland capital, is a city of about 2.5 million people. The United Nations Human Development Programme ranks Cameroon at 153 in the world on their human development index, just ahead of Haiti at 163 and South Sudan at 181.
The Conrads will be living within the Wycliffe compound and are in temporary housing for the next two months.
Their news and prayers are:
• Praise God for a safe trip and a warm welcome.
• We’re starting to settle into a routine here:
◦ Rick is already working on a couple projects
◦ Titus is going to preschool 3 mornings per week - he already has a best friend :)
◦ Chelsea’s enjoying being home with the kids, and getting the hang of the special challenges of managing their house in Cameroon (shopping without a car, cleaning fruits and vegetables, power outages...)
• Pray for us to all develop new relationships and make friends
• Pray for God’s help in managing the stress of the transition
Pray for opportunities to live out the gospel in our daily routine.